Walking Heritage Tour and stories of growing up in Moville
A one and half walking tour, includes a guided heritage walk and talk. Gain an insight into life growing up in a Maritime Heritage town in Donegal.
July and August 2021
- Moville Tour – Meet at the tree in the town square
- Every Tuesday and Thursday at 11-00 am
- Tours last approx. 1 hour and 15 min
- Cost 10 Euro per person ( Children under 12 accompanied by an adult go free)
- Wild Strands will follow and adhere to Covid 19 restrictions,
- Places are limited and this walking tour must be booked in advance. All enquires to email@example.com for any enquires.
Walk through time in the beautiful setting of Moville, the first seashore picturesque town along the Wild Atlantic Way and discover why it deserves its place as a designated Donegal Maritime Heritage Town.
This is a real, local guided insight of tales of growing up in Moville where your qualified guide, William mc Elhinney will celebrate its famed yet often forgotten illustrious maritime past. Hear tales of whiskey lane, of art installations remembering Moville’s maritime legacy, of traditional boats from Currachs, recounting St. Colmcille’s Epic voyage, traditional boats of the Foyle River inspired by Vikings, of folklore and stories of military invasions and settlements of land and sea.
Learn of Moville’s ancient past and of its famed Celtic High Cross at Cooley Graveyard. Hear stories of local activism e.g., Bredagh River Trail and stories linked to St Patrick and the oldest bridge in Ireland. Walk the Green, a playground and spa area for the wealthy, enjoy its beautiful coastal walk, historical houses, bandstands, holy well, putting green and see where seaweed baths once were. Learn of Monty, Field Marshal Montgomery, connection with Moville and the role his family the Montgomery’s played developing Moville as a modern town.